Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pre-Fest

I wrote this several days ago, but I didn't want to post it until today. Some of my predictions may have been correct and it could have gotten me into trouble since I'm staff. Now that the line up has been announced, it doesn't matter


On Wednesday I leave for Telluride for the fourth time. I’ve attended three of the past four Festivals (2006 being the year I couldn’t make it). I enjoy taking the time to guess what films and tributes could be held at each festival, mostly because it gives me a bit of an edge on deciding what to watch during an overwhelming weekend of films. Educating myself on certain filmmakers and films during the festival eats a lot of time, makes decisions harder.


Plus the guessing game is fun, mostly because I end up being completely wrong.


As of right now all that has been announced is Alexander Payne as Guest Director and a special tribute to Manny Farber. I am really looking forward to both.


TRIBUTES

As far as tributes, I’ve noticed a small discernable pattern during the past four years:


2005 Festival Tributees

Mickey Rooney

Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne

Charlotte Rampling


2006 Festival Tributees

Walter Murch

Penelope Cruz

Rolf de Heer


2007 Festival Tributees

Daniel Day-Lewis

Shayam Benegal

Michel Legrand


2008 Festival Tributees

David Fincher

Jean Simmons

Jan Troell


The directors of the Festival like choosing one notable figure from classic Hollywood, one contemporary figure established and active in Hollywood, and a foreign filmmaker still largely unknown to the U.S. Based on this pattern my ideal Telluride Tribute would be:


Tom Waits

Martin Scorcese

(I don’t know who for the foreign filmmaker, because well, I’m American)


Tom Waits because he’s a personal favorite and has collaborated on so many great films by either acting or providing music. The tribute reel could have great clips from works by Coppola, Jarmusch, Altman and Robert Frank. Then show portions of his upcoming role in Terry Gilliam’s The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. Then on stage Q&A followed by a live performance. That would be amazing.


Martin Scorcese, unless he hasn’t already had a tribute. He may have. But now that the release of Shutter Island has been pushed back, he may have time to stop by. He could also receive the Festival’s Special Medallion for film preservation. I’m hoping one day Bob Rosen will receive that award.


I don’t know of anyone for the foreign filmmaker tributee mostly because, well I’m still learning about film, and Telluride still has the ability to surprise me with work I’ve never seen before. I could guess someone but it wouldn’t be nearly as good as the person they will choose. Last years tribute to Jan Troell was amazing. It really rearranged how I thought and felt about filmmaking.


FILMS

Tran Ahn Hung’s I Come With the Rain is the only film I’m really wishing to show. If this film alone screened, I would be thrilled. Well, no . . . . Paul Greengrass’s Green Zone would be amazing as would Where the Wild Things Are. The rest of the films are simple predictions and I’m not as invested on whether or not they screen. I’ll see them eventually.


The White Ribbon - Haneke’s newest work and the 2009 Palme d’Or winner. Very excited about this one. I met Haneke when he brought Cache for the 2005 festival.


A Prophet - Audiard’s newest work and 2009 Grand Prix winner. I started The Beat My Heart Skipped but I didn’t finish it. And I don’t really care if I do.


Kinatay - Winner of 2009 Cannes Best Director for Brillante Mendoza.


Spring Fever - Winner of 2009 Cannes Best Screenplay


Samson and Delilah - Winner of 2009 Camera d’or for Warwick Thornton


Ajami - Winner of 2009 Camera d’or Special Distinction


Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans - Herzog’s newest films are almost certain to show at Telluride, but Herzog might not be there because the film is in competition at Venice


The Road - Also in competition in Venice


Life During Wartime - Solodnz new film, also playing at Venice


Amelia - Mira Nair’s new film


An Education - Sundance hit by Lone Scherfig. I think it’s a Nick Hornby adaptation


A Serious Man - Coen Bros. Not likely


Bright Star - Jane Campion. I wouldn’t be surprised if she was a tributee


Up in the Air - New Jason Reitman


Several of the films I’ve listed I don’t care if I ever see, particularly Amelia and Up in the Air. Last year I unfortunately missed Hunger and Revanche and instead saw Slumdog Millionaire, Adam Resurrected and Kisses; all of which I didn’t care for. Hopefully I’ll do better this year, both in predictions and deciding on which screenings to attend.

No comments: