Monday, October 1, 2007

10 Years Later







Judy picked me up close to 11pm at LAX on Friday, September 28. My flight arrived late, and we were both hungry. We settled on a Shakey's that was conveniently located next to her apartment. I'm glad we stopped by. The place was near closing, the only ones remaining were a family singing Mexican karaoke. All the employees seemed to know the remaining patrons and it felt like we stepped into a family's party as opposed to a restaurant. They were all very nice.

The next morning Judy had her weekend cinematography course at UCLA, and I decided to take a trip I've been planning for about ten years. I drove to Sherman Way, in between Reseda Blvd. and Lindley Ave in the San Fernando Valley. I found the old Reseda Theatre, the church that served as a nightclub, Miss Donuts and the Chapel with the mural of Jesus. I was stunned at how close they all are to one another. As I was photographing the Reseda Theatre a man named Dan, a 50 year San Fernando resident, began to tell me the history of the theatre, how he saw The Ten Commandments there when he was a kid and the multi-million dollar restoration plans.

He asked why I was taking pictures of the theatre.

I told him my favorite film was shot here.

He said "Oh, yeah," recalling the title. "It's called something '- Nights,' right?"

After I told him the correct title, it seemed like he lost interest in talking with me.

Before meeting Dan, I visited Miss Donuts, purchased a Bear Claw and tried to reconstruct spatially how the robbery scene was composed in a location that now holds little resemblance to how it did in the film.

There were some other locations I wished I visited, but for now, Sherman Way was enough.

No comments: