Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Share

I thought it was time.

I have this place in Berkeley, sadly, to myself now; and it feels like I have a lot of time to fill. I was planning on making my own blog after I learned html, but I'm really lagging on it, meanwhile time keeps passing by. I'm using it to keep Judy updated on things I don't mention on our brief phone calls, and for myself as well. If it sounds like I'm talking to anyone, it is her because it's she who I have most in mind.

I'm almost finished with Ask the Dust. It is easily one of my most favorite novels. I've been having a hard time with fiction lately, actually for the past four five years. It's hard for me to think about another novel I've finished in the past six years. Everything I pick up feels dead, no energy. Plus there's me, I read slow and fall asleep involuntarily. Deathly combination for literature. I've been consuming non-fiction in large volumes: textbooks, user manuals, apple pro training books, Peter Biskind's work, others, but no fiction. I feel like I've been avoiding literature for a long time, maybe I've forgone novels for so long by selecting film as my medium of choice. Dumb, huh? Instead of spending two hours watching a film, I'm going to try to commit that time to reading. I'll be accepting suggestions for reading, but only from those who actually let me borrow the book. Don't half ass me.

I decided to skip the George Kuchar screening at the PFA tonight, to instead do other things, like this. I wish I had gone but I attended two of his screenings in Telluride. They were great and he's amazing to see in person. I prefer his earlier work, the stuff he did when he was young in New York. The material he approached as a youth somehow, for me, doesn't work as well now. I guess that's the case for most aging artists, youth was a time when they captured something truly unique. But he's great, one of a kind filmmaker. Edith Kramer was kind enough to introduce me in Colorado. I would have liked to see her as well.

I have a little thing I wrote about my visit to Telluride. I'll eventually post it, maybe sometime when I don't have anything to contribute.

It's late and I have a 5:45am call in Black Point tomorrow morning.

No comments: